Saturday, March 27, 2021

Remembering 1999: Leaders as I knew







With the demise of prominent leaders in Indian politics in quick succession and few leaders away from the active politics, Indian politics suffering from the huge loss of mentors who were not only being criticized on political vendetta but as individuals get "applaud" everywhere.

Remembering the era of 1999, when the country was going through political unrest and political parties trying to form the government at the center or competing to finish its tenure, “NDA I” has emerged as the solution for the country.

At that time, I was in my early childhood days, but on the other hand, grown enough to have a "compulsorily" interest in the political structure, political effect; not because I have to but, because of the famous typical social structure of the Indian society's behavior, where few prominent questions asked from relatives and others, from children around age 8years onwards, questions were more often based on the general knowledge like "who is who?" who is prime minister, defense, foreign minister and governors of the state, which is state capital, Indian states name and capital of countries.

Knowledge with Social awareness for that time was very necessary, for me as a 10-year-old kid, you don’t want to look like a fool or part of laughing material in front of the public you face of relative and others (at least what I think, at that time it was the most common expression, you face, when fail to satisfy others with your answers) more often in the change of ministry and the State you have to update your knowledge bank.

I was always struggling to remember all the basic details with a confusing state in my mind by few names like Jawswant, Khuswant, and Yashwant Singh (kun kya tha bhai?) and also between Arun Jaitely and Arun Shourie?

Politics of that time had a huge impact on my childhood subconscious mind because I was not only following different topics of general awareness but at the same time, I was also being introduced to different political leaders, their styles of social appearance, which in turn was influencing my behavior outcomes in the society I even started to copy them, one incident that I always remember, which also shows the impact of a political leader on my actions is when in the Sanskrit elocution contest I toured my script just before my name was announced for stage and I simply walk up and delivered my speech in " Shri Atal Behari Vajpayee Ji" style and remember to speak at least for 20 min in the Sanskrit language.

This was how I was first introduced to politics then suddenly deep-diving into the debates of the political issues, things started happening all around me, either it was about World Nuclear test ban treaty, CTBT American pressure their so-called imposed ban, demarcating foreign relations Kargil war parliament under threat of terrorist and internal opposition attack, violence in different parts of the state. There was so much in the newspaper and electronic media which I think just started to be played by the hands of leaders.

Leaders of NDA 1 were impacting my mindset, influencing my acts, behavior at that time, and now seeing them gone one by one, I feel a vacant spot in my emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment